Friday, February 4, 2011

Snow Day!!!! (and a long promised tutorial)

This morning, I woke up to this...



Snow Day!!!!  It is amazing how I revert to an eight year old when there is even a chance of snow.  I checked school closings as soon as I woke up this morning and was ecstatic to see that I don't have today!  Since I get to stay home (and there is rare internet at my house this morning), I'm going to update and give you a quick tutorial.

Here is what I've been up to lately (I can't show everything, but here are a few things).

My version of the Stacked Coins Quilt for a friend's baby



WIP Hidden 9-Patch

I am also doing a few BOMs (blocks of the month) with our LQS (local quilt shop), including one where I'm going to finally learn applique!

So now for the tutorial.

Log Cabin Ornament


This is a quick little ornament that I came up with for Christmas gifts this year (after I cut up a charm pack for a project that did not work and did not want to wast them).  It uses just charm squares, batting, and a bit of ric-rac or ribbon.  You could use other fabrics to make ornaments for other seasons as well.


You will need:
1 charm pack (for the tutorial, I used Lumiere de Noel by French General)
6 feet of ric-rac or ribbon
Scraps of Bella Solids white (or whatever color you choose for centers)
Batting

Start by cutting fourteen 1.5 inch squares from your Bella white.

Next separate out your charm pack into lights and darks.  Choose 14 squares for backing.

Cut the remaining squares into 1 x 5 inch strips.

Cut each of your light squares into one each of 1x1.5, 1x2, 1x2.5, 1x3, 1x3.5, and 1x4 inch strips.  Cut each of your dark squares into one each of 1x2, 1x2.5, 1x3, 1x3.5, 1x4, and 1x4.5 inch strips.

Now to start sewing.  Begin by sewing your light 1.5 inch strip to your 1.5 inch square, right sides together.  Next add your light 2 inch strip, your dark 2 inch strip, and so on, rotating the square clockwise each time.  (See pictures)






 





When your block is done make your quilt sandwich of block-batting-backing square (I did not trim anything until after I quilted the square).  Quilt the square.  I preferred quilting in the ditch using a zigzag stitch.  It gave the ornament a crafty-country look.  Trim the square.  Attach the ric-rac by making a small loop and inserting it between the square and batting.  Zigzag the edges to finish.



Yield-Each charm pack can make 14 ornaments

No comments:

Post a Comment